Honoring our 2021 Retirees: Mrs. Robin Heller

Melanie Ranieri

After sixteen years of working in the Guidance Department at South High, Mrs. Robin Heller will be saying goodbye. She will miss being with her “work family” on a daily basis. “Retirement is bittersweet for me,” she said.

Before coming to South, Mrs. Heller taught at a nursery school in Lynbrook for five years. She then decided to switch to public school, as a friend of hers did and convinced her to make the move. She feels fortunate to have been hired at South. 

Always liking to keep busy, Mrs. Heller’s days in the guidance office are non-stop. From scheduling appointments, answering phone calls, and processing both incoming and outgoing students, she is always a huge help around the office. She believes that her patience has helped her work successfully with college representatives, parents and students. 

Mrs. Heller loves helping students, whether it’s printing their schedules or transcripts or scheduling an appointment with their guidance counselor. “I’ve enjoyed working with the students and have always tried to be as kind and patient as possible, helping them when they needed it.” 

Mrs. Heller will be greatly missed by the Guidance Department. Guidance Counselor Mrs. Carly Bank shared the following:

People often say the guidance department is the heart of a school. Robin Heller is the heart of South High’s guidance department. She is a treasured and vital member of our Guidance Family. Mrs. Heller is classy, articulate, and poised. As the receptionist of our office, her kindness, empathy, and patience have allowed her to deal with a multitude of families with ease and care. Her interpersonal skills have allowed her to build lasting relationships with our colleagues, students, and families. Her warmth and compassion are critical as the first person who deals with many sensitive situations that demand a certain understanding, confidentiality, and tact. This is not a position that can be handled by just anyone. Mrs. Heller’s ability to multitask with a warm smile even on the most difficult of days will be dearly missed by our department, our building and our families.

In retirement, Mrs. Heller is ready for some leisure time, which she has never really had—even in college, she worked during the summer. As for her next chapter, her family had planned to travel to Paris last spring, which was unfortunately cancelled due to COVID. Wherever she is, she will be thinking of South High in September and wishing everyone a great school year!